Stories around the World
Stories Around the World is a new participative programme for international primary schools in English. It has been developed over the past year in conjunction with several international schools.
This new programme explores the theme of stories and storytelling by looking at and connecting with a series of carefully chosen objects around the museum. Students will look at the way objects can tell stories about people, ideas and the objects themselves.
There is enormous potential for objects as tools for learning and thinking. For Stories around the World we have included objects that encourage slow-looking, spark curiosity and provoke engagement.
Stories Around the World is a participative student-centred programme facilitated by a museum teacher. There are ample opportunities for students to get involved and share their thoughts.
Stories Around the World is intended to supplement learning in the classroom about stories and to complement units in the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) and the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP).
There are two programmes for different age groups:
- 6 - 7 year olds, 60 minutes (+ 30 mins free-time)
Download the Teacher's Pack for 6 - 7 year olds (PDF)
- 8 - 12 year olds, 90 minutes (+ 30 mins free-time)
Download the Teacher's Pack for 8 - 12 year olds (PDF)
- Genre: participative programme with museum teacher.
- Duration: 90 minutes (6-7 year olds) or 120 minutes (8-12 year olds).
- Price: € 6, - per student (incl. admission fee).
- Booking: please book at least 1 month before date of your visit.
- After booking: download the teacher's guide (coming soon).
Information & reservations: +31 (0)20 568 8300
For more information and booking please call our booking office: +31 (0)20 568 8300, Tuesday to Friday between 10am to 5pm. Or e-mail to email@example.com.
Stop! Look! Think.
The Tropenmuseum has developed a new method for Stories Around the World called Stop! Look! Think.
We aim to encourage slow, detailed exploration of objects using thinking routines from Visible Thinking.
Stop! Look! Think. is based on 5 principles:
- Learning how to look at objects carefully and slowly, to investigate and find out information and construct meaning.
- Developing critical thinking skills in observation, description, interpretation and reasoning with evidence.
- Nurturing ability to work and think in a group – for example, by developing listening skills, respect for alternative viewpoints and appreciating different cultures and traditions.
- Using open-ended questioning to motivate and engage students in learning and elicit fresh and dynamic ideas.
- Equal participation and involvement for all in the discussion regardless of age, ability and background.
Read more about Visible Thinking, a flexible framework for cultivating thinking and deeper understanding.
Made by Galleria.